Wednesday, April 7, 2010

One Weekend at -10° and now 29°



This was Easter weekend, a long weekend. It started with a nice 110km ride with the Vélocia group on Jay Peak. What a great ride, nice folks, fast and experienced riders. The group gathered together at 10am in the morning at the Frelischberg Town hall. One of the members had suggested the ride, a 110 km ride from Qc to Vermont. it started with Joy hill !! It wears its name! At 1,5 km from the start you hit that little hill of about 2,4 km average 6,3% with a 14 % peak. Hard starts for the legs. We went on smoothly, direction Jay Peak, it really felt like we were riding in my backyard. The first climb was regular as i do it very often. I was keeping my legs for the rest of the ride. What i need to work is the second climb. The route 242 climb to the resort. I have more difficulties with that climb. it has about the same average gradient of 4,5% that the route 105 has, but it has these pitches 4 or 5 of them at 14%. I'm having a hard time keeping a regular pace on those climbs. Like the end of last season i faded as the ride km added. But this is my year objectives. I will leave myself some time, we are just at the start of April and i just passed my first 1000km.

One think is that I will have to change my road pedals. The old stuff is giving me knee problem. I will look at new options.

I love to ride with a group. Like a friend once said to me, there will always be a faster one then you, still pushing our selves more makes us better riders.


Nice first group ride of the season.


On top of the 105.



The next day Claudia, Dan and me did another little 50km ride, Claudia had to put training in the legs, but sadly she didn't feel right. She cut the run a little, because she was feeling sick, but she managed to have fun coming up from Mansonville to the house on that 5km climb. Dan and me got to finish the little run. My legs were not as good, they felt the km of the day before. We got to the house at about the same time as Claudia did. It gave me a "ok" average speed. Dan as always was faster than me. We then learn the scary way that you have to hydrate yourself properly for this sport and also learned that it's not good to stay to long in the spa, you get dehydrated fast!

I saw this saying on the next day. For me it mean something.
A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down. 
Arnold H. Glasow

On Sunday and Monday i played the gardener around the house. It's fun to play in the dirt!


More pines... they grow fast.

No comments: